|Before the Dawn|
|Season 5, Episode 21|
|Air date||12 Apr 1997|
|Written by||Julie Henderson|
|Directed by||Bethany Rooney|
The Body Electric
Before the Dawn is the twenty-first episode of Season 5 of Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman, and the one hundred-fourteenth episode of the series.
Horace receives divorce papers from Myra and attempts suicide with laudanum. Dr. Mike and Sully find him when they go to check on him due to everyone in town being concerned when he doesn't open and bring him to the clinic. Dr. Mike tries to help by sending for Myra and Samantha, but it ends up doing more harm then good due to Horace realizing having Myra back doesn't make him feel better.
- A second wedding is organized for Horace and Myra, but they decide not to get remarried in the end.
- Horace agrees to go to a sanitarium, but decides to travel to St. Louis to visit his daughter instead.
- Myra and Samantha make their final appearance on the show.
- The title of this episode, Before the Dawn, may be in reference to the Biblical verse in the Book of Psalms. Specifically, Psalm chapter 30 verse 5 (30:5): "For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning" (KJV).
- Horace Bing - attempted suicide and melencholia (depression)