|Season 1, Episode 6|
|Air date||30 Jan 1993|
|Written by||Sara Davidson|
|Directed by||Jerome R. London|
Father's Day is the sixth episode of Season 1 of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.
Ethan Cooper returns to town coming across as a successful businessman and develops an interest in Dr. Mike. He later shows up at the homestead Dr. Mike & the children are living at, only then allowing Dr. Mike to know that he's the husband that left Charlotte, taking all their savings. Mr. Cooper then convinces almost everybody in town that he regrets abandoning his family, causing Dr. Mike to worry that she'll lose the children. Later, Dr. Mike & Sully discover that he's hiding the real reason he's hanging around town.
- It's Founder's Day, and the town is having an auction to raise money for a new schoolhouse. Emily Donavan donates a quilt from the Women's Quilting Circle, Jake donates free shaves and haircuts for a month, Olive Davis donates a prized bull from Old Mexico, and Dr. Mike donates a smallpox vaccine for the whole family. The events that the Rev. Timothy Johnson announces include a pie eating contest, dance, pot luck dinner, relay races, and the auction.
- Sully learns how to ride a horse after buying it from Ethan who steals it back after stealing the fundraiser money to build the school.
- Mrs. Harriet Bonner dies of appendicitis.
- First appearance of Becky Bonner. Becky becomes Colleen's best friend.
- Father's Day is the first episode that shows that Jake can play the concertina, and the first episode that shows Horace blowing into a jug as a makeshift musical instrument.
- Character Arc: Olive Davis, part 2 of 11. Olive is named for her favorite aunt Olive Jean.
- Character Arc: Ethan Cooper, part 1 of 6. First appearance of Ethan Cooper. Ethan gives Brian a dinosaur bone that will become a point of contention between him, Colleen, and Matthew in Bone of Contention. Ethan tells Matthew that he cannot read and write, and Matthew tells Sully that Ethan can't write after Sully reads a letter "from" Ethan.
- Plot Device Arc: Women's Quilting Circle. The Women's Quilting Circle was first seen briefly in the Pilot. Father's Day is the episode that gives the name to the group. At first Olive wouldn’t let Michaela join the group because Olive resented vaccines as her aunt died of a vaccine, and she believes that Michaela always acts as if she knows everything. After Michaela tells the ladies of the Circle how Harriet died, Olive and the other ladies agree to let Michaela join the group. The women sit for a picture in Portraits.
- Plot Device Arc: Dances. The town holds the Founder's Day pot luck dinner dance. This is the first dance seen on the show. The next dance is the Hurdy-Gurdy dance in The Prisoner.
- Note: This episode takes place before The Healing. The relay races that the Reverend speaks of are shown in the episode The Healing.
- Ethan Cooper - head stitched after getting hit in the head with a chair in the saloon.
- Harriet Bonner - ruptured appendix. She dies as a result.