|Law of the Land|
|Season 1, Episode 4|
|Air date||16 Jan 1993|
|Written by||Toni Perling|
|Directed by||James Keach|
Law of the Land is the fourth episode of Season 1 of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.
Jon & Matthew slaughter one of Miss Olive's cattle to feed Jon & his starving siblings after Matthew suggests the idea. Kid Cole gets caught up in the middle of all of it after he's hired as the town sheriff. The town is out to hang Jon, but thankfully Dr. Mike & Kid Cole manage to keep that from happening.
- Brian goes hunting with Sully & brings home a hurt deer which he names Byron much to Sully’s dismay.
- First appearance of Johnny Cash as Kid Cole.
- Kid Cole comes to town looking for a quiet place to settle down & tend to some rose bushes. He is appointed by the town's citizens as the town's first sheriff, but decides to leave the job in the end. The next sheriff for the town is Matthew Cooper in Tin Star.
- First trial on the show with Sheriff Kid Cole presiding. Olive drops the charges in the end, but has Jon and Matthew work to pay off the cow that was butchered.
- Sully reveals his first name, Byron, which he hates.
- Arc: Brian saves an animal, part 1 of 6. Animal saved: a deer. Brian will save another animal in Luck of the Draw.
- Arc: Kid Cole, part 1 of 4. Kid Cole returns in Saving Souls.
- Arc: Olive Davis, part 2 of 11.