|Season 1, Episode 17|
|Air date||1 May 1993|
|Written by||Josef Anderson|
|Directed by||Chuck Bowman|
Portraits is the seventeenth episode of Season 1 of Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman.
Mr. Watkins comes to town with his camera to take photos of the area. While he's in town, he is assisted by Sully.
Meanwhile, Horace's mother is brought to the clinic close to death. Horace initially dismisses Myra in front of his mother, as his mother doesn't approve of her son marrying a "whore." He later introduces Myra, and Myra later goes back on her own to talk to Mrs. Bing.
- Character Arc: Olive Davis, part 10 of 11. Cattle Drive (part 1) reveals the fate of Olive Davis.
- Kenny Rogers guest stars as David Watkins, the photographer.
- Mr. Watkins will eventually lose his eyesight.
- Only appearance of Horace's mother, who gives him and Myra her blessing just before she passes away.
- Portraits makes the allusion that Michaela's fiancé David Lewis might be alive when she thinks she recognizes him in a photo. She first told the story of David dying in the Civil War in the Pilot. Michaela learns that David is alive in Return Engagement.
- It is revealed that Lewis Bing, Horace's nephew, takes care of his grandmother.
- Arc: Women's Quilting Circle. The women pose for a picture for David Watkins. The women inadvertently sew the robes of the KKK in The First Circle.
- Mrs. Bing†
- Mrs. Eckland (childbirth)
- Mr. Watkins - has diabetes mellitus
† Dies as a result