|Reason to Believe|
|Season 6, Episode 1|
|Air date||27 Sep 1997|
|Written by||Philip Gerson|
|Directed by||Terrence O'Hara|
Moment of Truth, Part 2
All That Matters
Reason to Believe is the first episode of Season 6 of Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman and the one hundred nineteenth episode of the series.
After Sully goes over the cliff with O'Connor (end of previous episode), Dr. Mike won't give up searching for him with hopes of finding him alive and Matthew resigns as the town sheriff to help. When Sully's best friend Daniel hears about the incident, he returns to town to help with the search himself. Meanwhile, Sully is seriously hurt and in need of medical attention if he's going to survive.
While Dr. Mike is searching, Sgt. McKay sends a man to follow her, thinking she may know where he is. Dorothy goes north to see Cloud Dancing and tell him that Sully is missing. The man sent to follow Dr. Mike goes back to report that they don't know where Sully is, but Cloud Dancing is with the Northern Cheyenne in the Tongue River Valley.
- Story Arc: The Separation, part 3 of 16. Michaela has a vision of a lily next to the river bank. Later near the end of the episode, Michaela, Daniel, Matthew, and Brian walk among lilies in a field before finding Sully. The vision and the field of lilies could be an allusion of the phrase "lily of the valley" which according to wikipedia in the "language of flowers" means "the return of happiness." Michaela and Sully also hear each other's voices despite being separated. Michaela is happy to be reunited at the end of the episode despite it being brief.
- Character Arc: Sgt. McKay, part 3 of 6.
- Character Arc: Daniel Simon, part 3 of 15. Daniel returns to Colorado Springs to help Michaela search for Sully. Daniel read in the newspaper about Sully. It took him four days to get to Colorado Springs. He rode all night from Denver to get to Michaela and Sully's place.
- Wanted posters for Sully arrive - $1,000 bounty
- Robert E., Jake, and Hank are also looking for Sully to help Dr. Mike. Hank and Jake quit after 4 days, Robert E decides to stay in town after renegades attack town
- The Palmer Creek Reservation is closed and the renegades that are caught will be brought to the East Fork Reservation.
- Brian arranges things so he can join the search when Dr. Mike and Daniel decide to stay out until they find Sully.