|Season 2, Episode 24|
|Air date||21 May 1994|
|Written by||Sara Davidson|
|Directed by||Gwen Arner|
The Man in the Moon
Return Engagement is the twenty-fourth episode of Season 2 of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, and the forty-first episode of the series, as well as the third 2-hour special.
A Civil War veteran comes into town calling himself Andrew Strauss, a naturalist. It doesn't take long for Dr. Mike to realize it's her former fiancé David Lewis though, but not before agreeing to marry Sully. She has to choose between old love, and new love. Meanwhile, Myra and Horace finally marry.
Unbeknownst to David Lewis, he arrived in Colorado Springs, the small town his former fiancée Michaela Quinn had moved to two years earlier. He had been using a guide, Sully to help him find the best locations to paint. He soon realized not only was Michaela in town, but she was engaged to Sully. Michaela soon figured out who he was, and he apologized, as he could not go back to the man he used to be, then confessed he still loved her. Michaela politely turned him down, and they both returned to their previous lives.
- David Lewis being alive, first alluded to in the episode Portraits, proves to be true when Andrew Strauss (David) comes to Colorado Springs. Michaela first spoke of David in the Pilot.
- Horace and Myra finally marry. Horace wants meatloaf for the wedding, and Myra wants a pink wedding dress. Michaela is Myra's Maid of Honor, and Sully is Horace's Best Man.
- Sully gets a velocipede (bicycle) as a gift.
- Cloud Dancing goes to the Black Hills on a vision quest, uncertain if he'll return.
- Sully and Michaela both ask each other to marry each other. Sully before David reveals himself, and Michaela after having the opportunity to choose between Sully and David.
- Arc: Dances. The town holds a dance for Horace's and Myra's wedding.
- A hawk means bad fortune to the Cheyenne. Cloud Dancing tells Michaela "he sees this love (Sully's and Michaela's), but also sees difficulty. Spirits showed me in a dream that a hawk was carrying you off. This hawk was carrying you away from Sully." Cloud Dancing again reiterates to Sully and Michaela in the season 3 opener The Train that he (Clouding Dancing) "believes something will separate Michaela and Sully. An illness, journey, death." Everything that Cloud Dancing speaks of comes true in the "Separation" arc that starts with the season 5 finale Moment of Truth. It will continue for the first half of season 6. A diphtheria epidemic (illness) strikes the town, and many townspeople die (death) in the two-parter A Time to Heal. Townspeople, Soldiers, and Indians also die (death) during the months long arc. Sully must hide in the woods, specifically the cave, around Colorado Springs (journey) for many months. The separation ends in Safe Passage.