|The First Circle|
|Season 2, Episode 19|
|Air date||26 Mar 1994|
|Written by||Toni Graphia|
|Directed by||Chuck Bowman|
Life and Death
Just One Lullaby
The First Circle is the nineteenth episode of the Season 2 of Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman, and the thirty-sixth episode of the series.
Jedediah Bancroft, a Denver banker, returns to town to sell homes. When he accepts the winning bid on a home, not knowing it was Robert E. Jedediah first accepts the $700 bid, but then refuses to accept Grace and Robert E.'s money because they're colored. Michaela defends Grace and Robert E. to Jedediah who finally accepts their money, but he isn't happy about it. Jedediah sets out to do everything in his power to include having Dr. Mike tell Robert E. that the banker will buy back the property with 10% profit, and recruiting men of the town into the Ku Klux Klan (KKK). Jedediah also has the men of his KKK branch destroy Grace's Café, cut Grace's hair off, setting loose Robert E.'s horses, beating up Robert E. at his livery, and threatening to hang Robert E. Matthew, Sully, Brian,Colleen, and Dr. Mike take up the fight against the KKK's violence along side Robert E. and Grace; resulting in a cross being burned at the homestead, and Jedediah threatening the Cooper children at Hank's saloon. Loren decides to help Grace and Robert E. to move in after the KKK tries to hang Robert E.
Recruited Members from Town
- Matthew Cooper (until he finds out what the KKK is about)
- Horace Bing (until he finds out what the KKK is about)
- Loren Bray
- Jake Slicker
- Hank Lawson
- Plot Device Arc: Women's Quilting Circle. Ironically, and by indirect involvement, the ladies of the Quilting Circle sew the robes of the KKK members. The Quilting Circle still includes Dr. Mike, and now includes Dorothy. The women discuss politics and the first mayoral election in The Campaign.
- Second appearance of Jedediah Bancroft. He reveals that he is the president of the "First National Bank of Colorado." He returns as the "Grand Dragon" of the KKK branch of the Colorado Territory. He first came to Colorado Springs in The Visitor to repossess the boarding house building.
- Character reference: Dr. Josef Quinn. Michaela reveals that her father was an abolitionist.
- Robert E. reveals that the man who owned him when he was a slave was named Vernon. He show Brian the branded "V" on his left back side.
- Loren Bray - after getting shot with buckshot
- Robert E - after being beaten up by the KKK members