|Season 1, Episode 5|
|Air date||23 Jan 1993|
|Written by||Sara Davidson & Toni Perling|
|Directed by||Gwen Arner|
Law of the Land
The Healing is the fifth episode of Season 1 of Dr. Quinn,: Medicine Woman.
Loren comes across the deed for a property that his wife Maude had bought for their daughter Abagail as a wedding gift. Loren, blaming Sully for Abagail's death, wants to take the homestead back. He cites Maude never signing the deed over as his reason to "maintain" ownership of the property. After Loren devolops a dangerous hernia & undergoes the operation to correct it, he & Sully put all the anger & bitterness behind them. Meanwhile, Colleen is hurt when she finds out Alice is having a party & she's not invited.
- Character Arc: Olive Davis, part 3 of 11.
- The Church gets a new piano
- Dr. Mike performs an autopsy on a young prospector who died in the saloon. Dr. Mike determines that the prospector had a bad heart, and that any exertion would have killed him.
- Second anniversary of Abigail's and Sully's first baby deaths.
- Loren finds the deed to the land that Sully's homestead was built on, and that the land was a wedding present from Maude Bray. Loren disowned Abagail after he learned that she and Sully secretly married, and finally signs the deed over to Sully in the end.
- Note: This episode takes place after Father's Day. The relay races that the Reverend speaks of in Father's Day are shown in this episode. The relay races include the wheelbarrow, and the three-legged races.
- Loren Bray - hernia operation. Assisted by Olive, Jake, Colleen, & Sully. Jake faints during the operation.