|The Permanence of Change|
|Season 3, Episode 21|
|Air date||8 Apr 1995|
|Written by||Carl Binder|
|Directed by||Jerry Jameson|
Bone of Contention
The Permanence of Change is the twenty-first episode of Season 3 of Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman, and the sixty-second episode of the series.
Meanwhile, Brian's friend Mary Ann Dagget shows signs of abuse and that concerns Dr. Mike. She investigates to find Mary Ann home sick, having to do chores, and in the barn with rats and rat bites all over her legs. This leads to Dr. Mike bringing her case before the town council to remove Mary Ann from her guardian's (Mr. Thomas Dagget) care, which many are reluctant to do as she's a little girl, and not a horse. Dr. Mike uses Darwin (evolution) to make her case before the town council, resulting in a unanimous vote to take Mary Ann away from her guardian, and setting a precedent.
- Sully thinks evolving from an eagle is more likely then an ape
- Mary Ann's guardian doesn't send her a lunch to school and is watching her due to her parents dying
- Hank and Loren write "Monkey" over the word "medical" on Dr. Mike's sign
- Hanks stands up for taking Mary Ann away from Mr. Dagget for her safety
- Mary Ann had never slept in a real bed before
- Reverend - abscessed wisdom tooth
- Mary Ann Dagget - rat bites and other abuse related wounds