|Season 1, Episode 11|
|Air date||13 Mar 1993|
|Written by||Josef Anderson|
|Directed by||Chuck Bowman|
The Prisoner is the eleventh episode of Season 1 of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.
General Custer & his men attack the Cheyenne wounding many including Cloud Dancing, the medicine man, who is also taken prisoner. Custer intends to shoot Cloud Dancing & reluctantly lets Dr. Mike treat Cloud Dancing's injuries. Dr. Mike & Sully help Cloud Dancing while Miss Olive's hurdy gurdy is underway.
- Character Arc: Olive Davis, part 4 of 11.
- The prisoner refers to Cloud Dancing after being captured by the Army at the Cheyenne village.
- Loren met his wife Maude at a dance. According to Loren, Maude loved to dance.
- Plot Device Arc: Dances. Olive organizes and holds a Hurdy-Gurdy Dance. Jake plays the concertina, Horace blows into a jug, and Loren plays the harmonica. The Prisoner shows the first big sign that Matthew really likes Ingrid when he buys up all her tickets at Robert E's suggestion. The song Loren chooses to play when he joins the band is Beautiful Dreamer. The next dances are in Boston in Where the Heart Is.
- Second appearance of General Custer played by Darren Dalton. He orders his men to attack the Cheyenne village after learning that settlers were attacked by Dog Soldiers (renegade Indians). He doesn't distinguish between the Dog Soldiers and the peaceful Cheyenne of the village.
- Note: The viewing order of this episode seems to be out of order. The evidence for this is the fact that Matthew and Ingrid introduce themselves to each other near the end of the episode during the dance. Also, throughout the episode Matthew is shy about talking to Ingrid just as he was shy to talk to Ingrid at the beginning of Epidemic. Another piece of evidence to consider is the fact that at the beginning of the episode Law of the Land Matthew invites Ingrid to dinner with his family, and is less shy in talking to her as if they have already been talking to each other just like at the dance in this episode. The final point of evidence is the fact that Grace isn't tending to her café, but is working with Olive on the Hurdy-Gurdy Dance throughout the episode. The Prisoner should following the episodes Father's Day and The Healing, but before Grace opens her café at the end of Bad Water. Law of the Land should follow the episode Running Ghost later in the season.